Arachova – or Rachova, as it was known until the years of the Greek Revolution – is built on the southern slope of Mount Parnassus, as its name hints, at an elevation of 900-1000 meters. The population is 4158 (2001 census).
The area of Arachova is full of ancient settlements that date back to 1200 B.C. The modern village of Arachova was built in 1300 A.D. At the time, Frank rule of Phocis and Boeotia was at its peak. A local nobleman and feudal lord by the name of De Nesle took steps to better organize the area and brought the dispersed settlements together, where Arachova’s Agios Giannis is located today.
The increase of visitors to the archaeological site of Delphi led to the development of the surrounding areas’ tourism industry. Tourism has further increased in the area with the establishment of skiing facilities and the development of winter tourism in Greece.
Arachova”s Clock Tower
One of Arachova’s most notable landmarks is its Clock Tower. Built early in the 18th century on a steep cliff, as a belltower for the Cathedral of The Entry of the Most Holy Theotokos into the Temple, it collapsed during the devastating earthquake of 1870. In March 1944, the Clock Tower was bombed and destroyed by the German forces that attacked the village.
Find out more about your travel at our travel tips webpage.